Sunday, September 4, 2011

US OPEN 2011: Gilles Simon outplays 2009 champ Del Potro to advance






Sunday, September 4, 2011
 
Gilles Simon’s counterpunching wore down former US Open champion Juan Martin del Potro Sunday at Flushing Meadows, as the No. 12 seed outplayed the 2009 titlist 4-6, 7-6(5), 6-2, 7-6(3) in a grueling third-round match on Louis Armstrong Stadium. The 26-year-old whacked 11 more winners than del Potro, while hitting 29 fewer unforced errors to prevail in three hours and 57 minutes, reaching the round of 16 in New York for the first time in his sixth appearance.
"I was break up, 3-2 [in the fourth set], and then I started to play a little bit shaky. Was hitting harder and harder every time," said Simon. "Finally I started to be tired and it was really hard to play at the end of the match. It was very good to finish in four sets."
Both players started well, holding comfortably in their first four service games, playing clean, safe tennis. Serving at 4-4, Simon fell behind 0-40, and though he saved the first three break points he faced, the 18th-seeded Argentine capitalized on his fourth chance, charging the net to cause Simon to hit a cross-court backhand pass wide. He then closed out the set with a routine service game.
Often a slow starter, Simon’s level of play picked up in the second set while del Potro’s took a dip in form. Each player failed to convert two break point opportunities and the set was eventually decided in a tie-break. Trailing 5-3, del Potro brought the Frenchman forward and struck a down-the-line-forehand pass to get the tie-break back on serve. He held on his first service point to even it at 5-5, but Simon took advantage of a short groundstroke, ripping an inside-out forehand winner to move ahead 6-5. Though he hit a 72 mph second serve on set point, Simon squared the match at one-set all after del Potro committed his 23rd unforced error of the set.
Simon grabbed the momentum in the fifth game of the third set after del Potro played a poor game on serve, committing three unforced errors. Simon consolidated the break when his 22-year-old opponent netted a backhand. Simon eventually ran away with the rest of the set, as the combination of his defense, consistent play and ability to turn up the heat when needed frustrated the Argentine.
Down two sets to one, del Potro regrouped in his opening service game and worked to turn the tide, but Simon kept pressing and broke in the fifth game after del Potro missed yet another backhand. Del Potro however, stayed patient and after missing out on two break-point opportunities, he unloaded on a short Simon forehand with a penetrating 96 mph forehand winner to break back.
From there, the two went toe-to-toe for the duration of the match, and it was del Potro who had a chance to force a deciding set in the ninth game, jumping out to a 0-40 lead with two convincing forehand winners to give himself three set points. Simon served and volleyed for the first time to save the first break point and played fearlessly the next two points to get the game to deuce. Two timely first serves were unreturned by del Potro and the set was even at 5-5. "I knew I had to be a little bit more aggressive," assessed Simon. "That's what I tried to do. I think I played a good serve and volley. Then I hit a winner also, then a good first serve. I managed to do it. It was a very good idea."
Two holds of serve pushed the fourth set into a tie-break and Simon opened a 3-0 lead before squandering three straight points. Unfortunately for del Potro, he misfired a forehand on the next point to give the mini-break back -- and Simon never looked back. The Frenchman set up three match points with a deep return and closed out the hard-fought victory with a well-placed, out-wide serve.

"He's a fighter, It's very hard make a winner playing against Simon," said del Potro. "I tried until the end, but I played [at a] lower level in the tie-breaks. He took the chance and he closed the match."
Simon avenged his 2008 third-round loss to del Potro at the Open, when the Argentine prevailed in a five-set clash, as well as a straight sets loss in the third round of Wimbledon this season. In the fourth round, Simon will take on the winner of an All-American battle featuring 28th-seeded John Isner and Alex Bogomolov Jr.

 

At this time last year, Gilles Simon’s mindset was in a world far away from the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.
A day before outlasting Philipp Kohlschreiber in a five-set second-round encounter, Simon’s partner Carine gave birth to the couple’s first child, Timothée, back home in France on September 2. It came as a surprise because she wasn’t due for another month. The Frenchman proved winning isn’t everything, as he rushed home to be with his family after falling to eventual champion Rafael Nadal in straight sets two days later.
Now, with a year of fatherhood under his belt, Simon has resurged up the ATP World Tour rankings from outside the top 40 at the start of the year to No. 12 coming into the US Open, winning titles in Sydney and Hamburg and reaching the fourth round at the French Open.
USOpen.org sat down with the 26-year-old after he defeated Guillermo Garcia-Lopez in the second round on Friday. Simon reflected on the two matches he's played this week and his goals for the rest of the season.
USOpen.org: You’re back in the third round at Flushing Meadows but it hasn’t been easy, as you were pushed to five sets in your first-round match and went four sets today. How would you assess your performances thus far?
Gilles Simon: It was not wonderful in the first round. It was a very tough match. I was really tired and I couldn’t move like I wanted to. I had to run a lot and was almost cramping at the end of the match, so I was really happy to win it because I was feeling pretty bad on the court.
Today went better. I felt like I could play my game. It wasn’t fantastic as I missed some easy shots sometimes. But I moved better and played the right shots at the right time.
USOpen.org: Last year, after losing in the third round here in New York, you rushed home as your partner Carine gave birth to your son Timothée four weeks early. How quick have the past 12 months gone by for you?

Gilles Simon: It’s been going fast. We play the same tournament every year. Every time we come back and say, ‘man, it is one more year already.’ But I feel every year is important. I enjoy the time I’m spending on tour and just try to play the best I can. I have a good ranking, No. 12 in the world, am playing at a good level and am just trying to enjoy what I’ve done this year.

USOpen.org: Speaking of your ranking… you’ve risen from No. 41 to No. 12 the past nine months and seem to be regaining the form that saw you reach No. 6 in 2009. How tough was it to come back from injury and what’s helped you get back inside the top 15?

Gilles Simon: When I started to play again at Wimbledon last year, I wanted to be in the top 20 at that tournament this year and I managed to do it. I think that was the hardest part of coming back, because when you’re out injured for a while and come back, you’re no longer seeded at tournaments. You’re not as confident because you haven’t played and don’t know if your level will drop down and if you’ll still be a good player. So then when you start to win and the ranking gets better, it’s easier because you’re more confident in yourself knowing you can do it.
USOpen.org: Today is Timothée’s birthday. Do you and Carine have any special plans to celebrate the occasion, either here or back home in France after the US Open?

Gilles Simon: Unfortunately they are not here anymore… they are back in France. I’m afraid I’m going to miss every birthday. I already missed the birth (laughing). When I have them around at tournaments, I try to see him as much as I can. Sometimes it’s not possible and right now they’re not with me, so I’ll wait till I go back to France.
USOpen.org: You’re in contention to qualify for the Barclays World Tour Finals. What goals do you have for the rest of the season and how do you fancy your chances of qualifying for the year-end championships for the first time since 2008?

Gilles Simon: To make the World Tour Finals is always a very good thing, but when you’ve done it once, it’s not exactly the same motivation. I just want to improve, win some tournaments, some big events. That’s my goal… to win something big. I also hope to finish in the top 10. I don’t know if I will do it but I’m in a good position.
USOpen.org: How would Carine rate your diaper changing skills?
Gilles Simon: Haha. I’m good but the mother is far better than me!

 

 

Match Facts

- Simon hit 47 winners to del Potro's 36
- The two combined to go 5 of 26 on break point opportunities
- Simon fired 13 aces, 10 more than del Potro
- The Frenchman improved to a 2-2 record against the Argentine









Louis Armstrong Stadium - Men's Singles - 3rd Round


  Juan Martin Del Potro ARG (18)




6
65
2
63




 

  Gilles Simon FRA (12)Winner



4
77
6
77

No comments:

Post a Comment